Our simple but great pita bread is a treat for many different occasions. Bring it to the next party you go to, serve alongside a nice salad or make your own selfmade kebabs with it!
- 450 g bread flour and some additional for dusting the working surface
- 300 ml warm water
- 1 sachet of dried yeast or ½ a cube of fresh yeast
- 1 egg for egg washing
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1 pinch of sugar
Makes 1 pita bread
- Add the water (not too hot, you don’t want to kill the yeast) to a large mixing bowl and stir in the yeast and the sugar. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the others ingredients and mix by hand or a mixer with dough hawks for 10 minutes until you have a smooth dough with an even surface. Form a doughball and cover with oil so it won´t stick too much to your bowl. Leave it covered by a kitchen towel to rest for 1 hour
- Dust your working surface with flour. Roll out the dough into a round flat shape with a thickness of approximately 3 cm. Transfer to a lined baking tray and leave to rest another 20-30 minutes.
- Turn on the oven on 230 degree Celsius.
- Push in a crossing pattern of your choice into the bread with your fingers. Eggwash the bread and distribute the sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, until the top is nice and brown.
You can easily adjust the flavours of this bread by substituting the ground cumin with grounded garlic, grounded coriander or whatever you fancy…