Currently I’m visiting my host family in Spain where I spent one year as an aupair. My little boy had his first communion last weekend and in a few days it’s his birthday so he had a big party. What is not to be forgotten in a birthday party? Exactly, the birthday cake. He decided to have a lemon cake which is a very common cake for birthdays. I really wanted them to enjoy this cake so we made it spongy and delicious. I came up with this recipe to make it the best cake ever!
- 2 lemon peels
- 6 eggs
- 300g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 250 ml oil
- 250-300 ml orange juice
- 400g flour
- 1 1/2 pkg backing powder
- a pinch of salt
I prepared everything on the table so he could put all the ingredients in and feel like the baker.
- I peeled the lemons and cracked the eggs. I know he really likes cracking them but we didn’t have much time and when kids do that, the kitchen is a mess! All the messy ingredients were prepared and we started baking.
- First, we beat the eggs. We mixed them with the sugar and added half of the inside of the vanilla bean.
- We added the oil and the orange juice too. Add as much juice as you like ( more juice, more liquidy ).
- Before adding the flour, we mixed the flour with the backing powder and the salt. Now we stirred until we had a smooth dough. Like I said before, if you feel like the dough is too firm, just add more juice.
- You have to bake the cake for about 40 minutes at 170°C. The time depends on the baking pan you use. We had a flat one but it might last a little longer with a loaf pan.
My ‘chiquitín’ was happy about the cake! We decorated a soccer field on it with white chocolate. We colored it with green food coloring and used lots of sweets as football players and spectators. You can also stay traditional and pour glacé icing made of powdered sugar and lemon juice over the cake. My little girl helped me take good pictures.