Last month was the birthday of a special person. And as it’s about a very sweet person I made her a sweet chocolate cake as one of my presents.
I’m going to explain how to prepare the cake and afterwards I’ll tell you how it got to her cause that wasn’t as easy as it may seem.
- 250 g butter (room temperature!)
- 280 g sugar
- 5 eggs
- 150 g flour
- 140 g ground almonds
- 1 package backing powder
- 50 g cocoa
- 80 g ground dark chocolate
- lemon zest of half a lemon
- 50 ml milk
- a pinch of vanilla
- a pinch of salt
So what do you have to do? I think it’s a very simple recipe and the outcome is delicious!
- First of all you have to stir the butter a little bit to make it softer.
- Then you add the sugar and stir again.
- When both is stirred thoroughly, crack the eggs and add them.
- Once this is mixed up you can add the flour, ground almonds, backing powder, cocoa, the lemons zest and the pinches of vanilla and salt. To make it more liquid you add the milk. Like we explained in our lemon cake recipe the more milk you add the more liquid the dough gets and the other way round.
- If you have a smooth dough exchange your blender with a spoon or something you like to use for stirring in the ground chocolate. Put the dough in a spring-form pan aaand..
..now it’s time for waiting – Heat up you oven to 160/170 degrees celsius and let your cake bake for round about 45 minutes.
And while we’re waiting for your cake to get bigger and eatable I’ll tell you about the journey the cake took to get to my birthday-friend. My parents live close to hamburg, that’s where I spent one weekend. But my dear friend doesn’t live any close to hamburg, she lives 2 and a half hours away by car. But as I hadn’t a functional car around I had to take the train with two stops and almost 4 hours journey. This was everything but not comfortable and the cake was very heavy cause I cut it in the middle and put the chocolate butter cream inside. Quite exhausting this trip! But all that mattered was the cake to arrive safely and my friend to be happy about it!
I decorated it with chocolate bars, gummy bears melted chocolate and of course candles and a little bow.