The smell of something fresh baked with cinnamon…could there be anything better?
As Johann is going to Sweden next semester we thought about baking or cooking something swedish. The first thing that came to mind were cinnamon rolls. And as you know everything giant is just so much more delicious we tried out this giant version.
The frosting makes it especially delicious, so make sure you have enough of that 🙂
For the dough:
- 115 g butter, melted
- 475 ml full fat milk
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 pack dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the filling:
- 170 g softened butter
- 165 g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 115 g cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 125 g powdered sugar
How to make it:
- In a bowl, combine warmed milk, melted butter and the granulated sugar. Add the yeast and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and combine until you have a dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise for 1 hour at a warm place.
- Butter a 22 cm diameter cast iron pan or springform tin.
- Combine the ingredients for the filling in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add some flour to the dough and punch the air out of it. Add as much flour as needed until you can work the dough and it is not to sticky. Transfer to your working surface and roll out to a large rectangle, approximately 1 cm thickness.
- Spread the filling evenly over the whole dough.
- With a knife or a pizza cutter, divide the rectangle lengthwise in 4 “strips”.
- Starting from the bottom of one strip, roll it up all the way. Place it on the bottom of the next strip and roll up as well. Continue this process until you end up with one very large, yes giant, cinnamon roll. Transfer carefully to the tin.
- Cover the tin with plastic wrap and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degree C.
- Bake for 45 minutes before covering the whole tin with foil. Keep baking for additional 35 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients for the frosting in a bowl.
- After letting the cinnamon roll cool, drizzle over the frosting and serve.